Ice hockey wins Stovepipe Tournament

by Arpeni Mael, Editor-In-Chief

The men’s ice hockey team traveled to Southern New Hampshire University to participate in the Manchester PAL/Stovepipe Cup tournament.

Steven Leonard scored a career-high three points as well as the game-winning goal for the Corsairs as they won 5-4 to Suffolk University.

In the first period, Jeff Kirkwood found the back of the net to give UMass Dartmouth a 1-0 lead with an assist from Leonard. Four minutes later, Casey Shea was able to score another goal for the Corsairs despite being doubled up on shots by the Rams.

The Rams were able to cut the lead in half in the second period by scoring 18 seconds in. However, halfway through the period, Brendan McDonough was able to extend the lead back to two for the Corsairs on a power play advantage. Leonard and Kirkwood helped assist.

Tommy Bishop tied the game for the Rams with two straight goals, the second goal coming in with 55 seconds left in the period.

In the third period, Connor Court was able to regain the lead for the Corsairs nine minutes in. Court’s goal was the second shorthanded score for UMass Dartmouth. Jerry Laakso and Drew Michals helped with the assists.

With 90 seconds left in the final period, Leonard tallied his third point of the game.

Michals stopped 40 of the 44 shots while in the net. Both the Corsairs and the Rams went 1-5 on the power play, and the Corsairs capitalized on two shorthanded goals.

The Corsairs faced Johnson & Wales in the championship game. An even-handed goal by Laakso just 30 seconds into the final period helped UMass Dartmouth’s lead to two goals, and claiming the title with a final score of 4-3.

In the first period, Shea bookended the scoring and gave the Corsairs the permanent lead to start off.

The Wildcats were able to score a goal, but Shea was able to respond immediately after the returning whistle. Mike Sones and Connor Cooley helped assist.

In the second period, Matt Baldino helped UMass Dartmouth to a pair of goals. Shea and Joe Echelmeier enclosed the rebound off a Wildcats shot, and found Baldino on the breakaway. Baldino was then able to fake out the goalkeeper and shot on the right side.

Luke Veitch cut the Corsairs advantage in the second period, but it didn’t last for long as Laakso scored his first goal of the season with an assist from Baldino.

Johnson & Wales cut the lead again to one after Connor Bates buried at goal, in a last-ditch effort for the frame as the Wildcats outshout UMass Dartmouth 20-11.

With a little over one minute left, Wildcats goalkeeper Joey Ballmer unleashed six shots on the Corsairs defense. Michals posted three saves and Echelmeier blocked a shot to seal the victory.

Shea has recorded two points in the past four games, and tallied three points in a game for the second time this season.

UMass Dartmouth will return to Hetland Ice Arena for the final two games of the 2016 academic calendar year, as they play host to Fitchburg State at 7:30 p.m.


Leave a Reply