Women’s lacrosse demolishes this past weekend

WLax Spring 2017
By Nicole Belair, Staff Writer

Women’s lacrosse completed a successful week with two wins in a non-conference matchup against Worcester State on Tuesday, and Little East Conference play versus Southern Maine on Thursday.

Leah Douty led the Corsairs to a 13-5 victory against Worcester State in UMass Dartmouth’s final non-conference game.

Douty started the game off on a strong foot for UMass Dartmouth, putting three goals in the net just twelve minutes in. A goal at 15:50 from Julia DiPillo and another from Erin Kish at 14:28 gave the Corsairs an early 5-0 advantage.

The Lancers made it 5-1 on a free position goal, but Douty, Kasey Hayes, and Kathryn Gibb each collected a point before the end of the first half.

The second period started much like the first, with Sam Muir driving in an unassisted goal at 29:15.

Worcester State tacked on a second goal at 22:35, but Gibb responded less than a minute later with another goal for the Corsairs.

The scoring went back and forth again, with another free position goal from the Lancers and a response from Gabby Giangrande at 20:31.

Worcester State scored twice more, at 14:32 and 13:31. However, two free position goals would put the win even further out of the Lancers’ reach, thanks to Kish and Catrina Longo. UMass Dartmouth came out on top with a major win, 13-5.

The Corsairs traveled to Gorham, Maine on Thursday and took an 11-9 win over Southern Maine.

Longo collected seven points, tying her career-high with five goals and two assists.
Gibb contributed two goals as well, and Kish had two goals, an assist, four caused turnovers, and five ground balls.

Similar to Tuesday’s game, the Corsairs secured an early 4-1 advantage just eighteen minutes into the first half.

The Huskies made their first goal at 28:20, and UMass Dartmouth responded with a four-goal streak from Longo, Douty, and Muir.

Southern Maine scored a second time at 8:21, but another goal to complete Longo’s first-half hat trick sent the teams into intermission with a score of 5-2.

The second half began with two Corsair goals. Kish collected a free position goal, and Gibb tallied one on as well, with an assist by Longo.

Southern Maine responded with a third goal, but Gibb and Longo scored again within a minute of each other, and put the score at 9-3.

Seconds later, the Huskies started on a ten-minute, five-goal unanswered streak. Southern Maine got within one point of the Corsairs, making the score 9-8 at 9:12.

Kish was able to break the streak with under eight minutes to go, and Longo scoredagain at 4:05. The Huskies tacked on a ninth point at 1:10, but it would not be enough for a comeback win.

Women’s lacrosse traveled to Eastern Connecticut on Saturday for a noon game, and Rhode Island College on Tuesday for a 6:00 p.m. start.

Photo Courtesy: corsairathletics.com


Leave a Reply