No comebacks for women’s lacrosse

By Nicole Belair, Staff Writer

Women’s lacrosse took two losses last week against Western Connecticut at home, and in Little East Conference play on Saturday at Eastern Connecticut.

UMass Dartmouth couldn’t make the comeback in Tuesday night’s game, and lost in a close match against Western Connecticut, 15-13.

The Corsairs collected two goals early, thanks to Catrina Longo at 28:16 and Leah Douty at 25:26. However, Western Connecticut fired back with a three-goal streak, two of which on free position shots.

Longo regained the advantage for the Corsairs with two more goals of her own, to which Western Connecticut responded with five unanswered goals in less than ten minutes.

Douty scored two more times in the first half, once at 5:34 and again at 1:32. Erin Kish also tacked one on, sending the teams into intermission with the Colonials on top, 10-8.

Western Connecticut buried their first goal of the second half just seconds in.

Kish and Raquel Riley each scored on free position shots, putting the Corsairs within one point of their visitors. The Colonials scored two more goals to put them ahead 13-10, and a pair of goals from Kathryn Gibb cut the deficit down to one goal again.

Following Gibb’s consecutive goals, Western Connecticut’s Olivia Kosella scored her fourth and fifth goals of the game. Douty fired one more into the cage at 11:07. A scoreless five minutes resulted in a loss for the Corsairs, 15-13.

The Corsairs traveled to Willimantic, Conn., on Saturday where they fell to Eastern Connecticut in a Little East Conference showdown.

Eastern Connecticut got on the board early with two free position goals at 22:39 and 19:55. Longo found the back of the net for her thirty-ninth goal of the season at 19:31, followed by a third goal from the Warriors at 18:13. Gibb decreased the Warriors’ lead to one at 17:43, and Gabby Giangrande tied it up at three with less than ten minutes remaining in the first half. The Warriors and the Corsairs each collected one more goal, finishing the period tied at four.

The second half opened with two consecutive goals from Longo and Douty giving UMass Dartmouth the lead. Eastern Connecticut called a timeout at 25:34, and came back with a five-goal streak to regain the lead. Longo responded with a goal at 13:05, but three more goals from the Warriors secured their 12-7 win.

UMass Dartmouth traveled to Rhode Island College on Tuesday for a 6 p.m. game, and will host Keene State on Saturday at 1:00 p.m.


Leave a Reply