Tough start as lacrosse lose to Curry 13-12

By Justin McKinney, Staff Writer

It was a tough opening weekend for the men’s lacrosse team as they fell a goal short to Curry College, with a final score of 13-12.

UMass Dartmouth captain and goalie, Matt Lafond, had a great performance with a save percentage of 58, but it was not enough to push the Corsairs past a high powered Curry attack.

Donavan Prozinski and Tom Donahue opened up their careers as Corsairs in big ways this spring as they put the opening two scores on the board for the Corsairs.

However as the first quarter of play went on, the 2-0 lead was beginning to wear thin as Curry broke the door down with a score to slim the Corsair lead to just one.

Prozinski struck again for the Corsairs as he put the Corsairs right back up by two in the first quarter of play. Midfielder Jordan Torres also made his presence felt early in the game as he scored right after Prozinski, giving the Corsairs a solid three goals.

As the first quarter came to a close, it seemed like the Corsairs were in position to make a run in the second quarter that could put the game away early.

The Colonials had another story to tell though as they ripped into the second quarter scoring four unanswered goals.

As the Corsairs added two more tallies from Torres and Prozinski the game was still very much in reach. Again though, the Corsairs were met with a hailstorm of goals from the Colonials as they scored three unanswered goals to end the second quarter.

The third quarter did not go much better for the Corsairs as Curry quietly added to their lead with two goals putting them up by three points as the score stood at 11-8 going into the final quarter.

The fourth quarter looked a lot better for the Corsairs though as Mike Rizzo opened up the game by scoring his first collegiate goal and pulling the Corsairs within two.

Curry was relentless though as they threw in two more goals against the Corsairs to give Curry a 13-9 lead. As the game seemed to be closing out and the Corsairs loss seemed to be inevitable, Sean Peters ripped a shot on goal at the 1:30 mark that was good for a score and pushed the lead back to just three. Just thirty seconds later, Anthony Gallo saw an opportunity and made good on it pushing the Corsairs within two.

After a Curry penalty, the Corsairs were a man-up and netted another goal with just thirty seconds left in the game making it a one goal game.

However, after a face-off loss Curry held ball possession for the remainder of the game and sealed the victory.

While the game was hard fought on both sides, Curry’s explosive second quarter proved to be the deciding factor in the game. The Corsairs go back to work at Norwich this Saturday at 1 p.m.

Photo Courtesy:


Leave a Reply