7 last-minute Spring break getaways

Break_ Michaella Lesieur.jpeg
By Michaella Lesieur, Staff Writer

Spring break is just days away and between work, school, family, friends, and all your other commitments, you may have noticed that you forgot to book you round trip flight to somewhere tropical! Or let’s face it, you currently don’t have the funds sitting in your bank account to dish out on an expensive trip.

No need to worry, you can still enjoy the break and have an adventure right here in Massachusetts. The best part is you don’t need to go too far or spend too much money, either!

The Torch has our map out and is ready to put on some sunglasses and hit the road for a true college road trip.

Providence, Rhode Island
Spotlight: Theater Shows, Good Eats and Nightlife

Spend a night in Providence by catching a show at the Providence Performing Arts Center spotlighting shows everyone will adore. I know that there is nothing like a good night spent in Providence.

Whether it is dining out on Federal Hill, shopping until you drop at Providence Place Mall or going to the theater, this city has everything. Spend the night in one of the many hotels the city has to offer. In my suggestion, I would stay at the Providence Omni because not only does it provide exquisite service while being a beautiful hotel, it is connected to fan-favorites such as the Rhode Island Convention Center, Providence Place, and the Dunkin’ Donuts Center. This spot is always hopping and is perfect for a night of fun!

Newport, Rhode Island
Spotlight: The Cliff Walks, Thames Street Shopping

Take a stroll down to Newport for the weekend as you can walk the grounds of the legendary Cliff Walks, eat some of the freshest seafood,  and enjoy some outdoor shopping on Thames Street. Newport is the perfect girls getaway weekend and is just far enough to get away from campus and enjoy spring break.

There are also multiple hotels that can accommodate just about any price range. Depending on where you want to go, you can do a simple Google search that will bring up the best deal for you. Also, be sure to take a ride down to see some of the most legendary lighthouses!

Foxborough, Massachusetts
Spotlight: Gillette Stadium, Patriots Place

Calling all sports fans (or maybe I’m just thinking I’m the only one who will meet legendary Brady). Gillette Stadium, home to the New England Patriots and New England Revolution, is a great way to spend a few days away from campus.

Patriots Place is filled with restaurants and shopping all in one location. You can even stop in the Hall for a tour featuring your favorite teams. If looking for a place to dine, Tavolino has the best pizza with every topping you can think of — it features true Italian cuisine. Book a hotel for a night or two at the two onsite hotels, The Renaissance and newly established Hilton Garden Inn.

I have stayed at the Renaissance twice and loved everything from the friendly staff, to the decor and amenities that are sure to fill the needs of every guest. They made me feel special and went the extra mile to make sure my stay was perfect.

Boston, Massachusetts
Spotlight: Faneuil Hall Marketplace, Fenway Park, Castle Island, Franklin Park Zoo and Prudential Center

There is nothing like going to Boston for the day. Boston is one of the best local attractions around. You can spend days just exploring the different gems in it.

I know I love going to Faneuil Hall for good old local bites and shopping. Fenway Park is a must when heading up and the Prudential Center always has something good playing. If you are an animal lover, you will enjoy the Franklin Park Zoo. For my ocean lovers out there, Castle Island is something you do not want to miss. It goes on for 22 acres and the Fort of Independence beautiful area overlooking the Atlantic Ocean.

Spend a couple days in the city and you will see just how much of a gem Boston is.

Princeton, Massachusetts
Spotlight: Wachusetts Mountain Ski, Princeton University Art Museum, Princeton University Chapel

Do you want to go for one last ski trip before the season is over? Wachusetts Mountain is the perfect way to get away and go ride the slopes. I have always wanted to try skiing, maybe you should too!

While staying in Princeton, make sure to explore the Princeton University Art Museum and the University Chapel. Both are beautiful works of art and will make the perfect trip. It is a great way to unwind after a long day on the slopes. If you’re looking for a place to stay in the area, Great Wolf Lodge is a park in itself as it has a huge indoor waterpark. A DoubleTree Hilton is also in the area.

Martha’s Vineyard,
Massachusetts
Spotlight: Island Life, Black Dog, Vineyard Vines, Sight Seeing, Walking Trials

A Massachusetts island like no other and a must see spot.

You have never been to an Island in New England if you have never been to Martha’s Vineyard. It’s a fun filled weekend getaway for everyone!

Whether it’s with family, friends, or a significant other, the Vineyard is the way to go. Consider staying at the Mansion House, featuring the only indoor pool on the island.
Explore the island by day walking the beaches, shopping in store favorites such as the Black Dog and Vineyard Vines. I must say make sure you try the Black Dog Tavern’s Quahog Chowder, you will not regret it.

Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Spotlight: Commercial Street, Beaches, Dolphin and Whale Watching and Coastal Living

When looking for a quick and easy getaway, pack up and head to the Cape, take your time enjoying the simplicity of coastal living. From dolphin and whalewatching, to the picturesque beaches and busy Commercial Street filled with shopping and restaurants, you will never be bored.

North Conway, New Hampshire
Spotlight: Mountains, Syrup and Penny Candy

There is nothing quite like a college road trip up to the mountains. New Hampshire has been a legendary crowd favorite for as long as I can remember.

North Conway is definitely my favorite spot up there and the endless day-to-day relaxation is the best. Aside from the beautiful views of mountains when lodging at the Red Jacket Mountain View resort, head into town for some old fashioned Penny Candy at Zebs. They have the cutest little store that will bring your childhood memories back in a flash. The smells and sights are something you do not want to miss. New Hampshire has endless options for a fabulous getaway and is just waiting for you to book your stay.

Happy and Safe Travels!

Photo Courtesy: Michaella Lesieur